Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Montenegro (Or as I like to call it, Mmmmmmmm-montenegro)

Montenegro became the 192nd UN Member State on June 28th, 2006.

After South Sudan being so successful we were pumped for Montenegro.  Being on the Adriatic Coast, Montenegrin food has a lot of Italian influences and flavors and an extensive selection of seafood.  (Yuck!)

I chose my dish this time: Pita Zeljanica, aka Spanikopita.  Had I known how long and  tedious it would be to make this I might have chosen something easier.  It's made by alternating filo dough and cheese/spinach layers.  Of course there were a million layers and and for each filo dough layer I needed to brush a million more dough layers with oil.  It took forever and I ended up leaving late for the dinner.

The day we scheduled for the dinner was a hot one (for Seattle).  My friend's apartment did not have any air conditioning, and with the oven on I was sweating as soon as I stepped through the door.  I brought my dish raw, so I had to bake mine as well.

But oh!  Worth it!  In addition to our prepared dishes, others brought a variety of cheeses, cured meats, and wine.  Sitting out on the deck eating that delicious food was the second best part of my day.

The best part was the dip in the pool after we were done eating.















(Celebrated June 27th, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment